Comrie Primary School

Dunning Primary School
Life at Dunning Primary School

Emergency Closures FAQ 

Q1.  It’s snowing and I am worried about my child’s safe return from school.  What do I do?

Have your mobile phone switched on ready to receive a Groupcall text message from school to advise that school is preparing to close and that your child should be collected from school.

Parents of Primary pupils will receive a phone call to check someone is at home to meet the child.

If possible, please avoid phoning school to check if the school is closing – the school will contact you.

If you are concerned that school transport will not reach you or you are concerned that any further delay will mean that you cannot get out to collect your child, please come to the school to collect your child; if possible, telephone beforehand so that your son/daughter is ready to go as soon as you arrive.

Q2.  I am unable to come to the school to collect my child but would like a friend, neighbour or relative to collect child.  What do I do?

If you have completed the emergency closure slip, your child can be released to your chosen contact.

We live outside Dunning and as the weather has deteriorated rapidly I do not think my child will be able to get home.  What do I do?

You should wherever possible provide the name of a family in Dunning your child can stay with (use appropriate tear off slip in your Emergency Closure Arrangements pack).  If no prior arrangement has been made, you should make contact with a family in Dunning where your child can go and notify the school of the arrangements you have made.  When conditions are bad in outlying areas, parents should not send their children to school if they are in any doubt.

Q4.  There has been heavy overnight snow.  Will the school be open?

Your options to receive information about school closure:

  • Listen to Radio Tay (or one of the other local radio stations) – for Frequencies see info in Emergency Closure Arrangements pack (Keep spare batteries for your radio handy!)
  • Phone Perth & Kinross Council Customer Service Centre – 0845 301 1100 (available from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm – may also operate from 7.00 am in exceptional circumstances) or the main Council line 01738 475000
  • Check the Council’s website – where closures will be flagged up on the Home page or alternatively, access the information on
  • For PKC Twitter and Facebook -
  • A Groupcall text message will be sent to you by 8.15 am if possible

Q5.  My children were sent home from school/the school did not open due to severe weather.  When will it re-open?

Check the Council’s website –